Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Kevin Hosea



Columbus Marathon Weekend

Posted by kevinhosea on October 18, 2009 at 9:09 PM

  On friday I was allowed to only work a half day so I was able to get on the road to Columbus at a decent time.  I was making great time until I hit a few areas of construction that added like 30-45 minutes to my trip.  All in all the drive was pretty uneventful though which was good.  I don't think I will ever learn to enjoy driving across indiana though....its soooo boring.  I got to Matt's place around 9:30 and we hung out and watched tv/played some video games.  It was fun staying with Matt cause we got some time to catch up since we hadn't seen each other since May or June. 

  Saturday was a pretty laid back day.  We watched tv and played some more video games saturday morning before going to get my race packet at the expo.  Matt went with me when I went down to the expo so he got his first experience of the chaos that is a marathon expo.  It was fairly easy to get downtown from his place and to get to the convention center.  I got my number and then we decided to get some lunch before going back to his place.  We went to Olive Garden so I could do some carbo loading and of course it was yummy like Olive Garden always is.  After that we went back to Matt's and hung out and I tried to work on my bike a little bit to make sure it was ready for the race.  My pump was not charged enough to fully pump the tires so I ended up having to do most of it this morning anyway after I charged the pump some. 
  Today started out early with both Matt and I waking up around 5:00 so we could leave his apartment by 5:45.  We left right on schedule so we got down to the parking area right when I was hoping we would.  I put my bike together and then we both sat in the heated car for a little while longer while I drank some water and ate a powerbar.  It was very chilly (around 30 degrees) so it was nice to have that extra time in the heat.  We then headed over to the start line and I warmed up a little bit.  After about 10 minutes or so, the rest of the wheelchairs and handbikes showed up.  They had all parked at a different place that was a little farther away so they had gotten a group police escort to the start instead of going on the sidewalks like I did.  I was a bit unpleasantly surprised to see a group of handcyclers that I did not know and who raced often (aka they were really good). 

  The race started and I did my best to keep up with the fast guys but it only lasted about 1 mile.  Last year I started off the race at a fairly fast pace around 19 mph for the first mile or two.  This year when I took off with these guys, we were going about 25 mph, it was NUTS.  I then settled back into my own pace so I didn't make myself tired to quickly.  A couple of the other fast guys caught and passed me but I resisted the temptation of speeding back up and stayed at my pace.  Finally  a couple guys caught up to me that were going at a comfortable pace that was a tad slower than I really should have been going but I hung with them for a while anyway.  It was nice having someone to draft off of for a while so I could save up a little energy.  A few miles later, a guy that I know from previous years in Columbus came up next to me and was like "You are Kevin right?" (he had said "Hi Kevin" to me at the start line).  I of course replied "yes" and he was then like "ok just making sure.  you are usually way up there..."  Hearing that pissed me off a bit so instead of staying back in the group to take my turn pulling, I just took off and dropped them.  That was about mile 5 and they never got near me for the rest of the race. 

  Overall I am very happy with how the race ended up.  Sure I did not get prize money but I also hadn't planned on the fast guys (they all race on the US national handcycle race circuit) showing up.  When I was planning on winning I was basing that off of the people who were there last year and everyone that was there this year who was also there last year, finished behind me so I was actually successful with my goal.  My time was only a few minutes slower than time from last year which is good considering I trained much more last year than I did this year for this race.  Last year, my time was roughly 1:37 and this year I finished in 1:44.  When I got home tonight, I finally got to look at the breakdown of my time throughout the course and I was very happy with what I saw.  My last 6.2 miles was only 2 minutes slower than the first 6.2 miles which shows that I was able to stay pretty consistent throughout the race.  The guy who won the handcycle division finished in a CRAZY fast time of 1:12.  You read that right folks....1 hour 12 minutes for 26.2 do that time, you have to average just slightly under 22 mph.  With proper training, I'm pretty sure I could have at least been close to the group that finished 2nd, 3rd, 4th around 1:24 but I think I've got a long way to go before I'll be able to challenge the 1:12.  So now I have a new goal for next year.

Categories: None

Post a Comment


Oops, you forgot something.


The words you entered did not match the given text. Please try again.

Already a member? Sign In


Reply Lorie Hougland
6:45 AM on October 19, 2009 
Hi Kevin,
Congratulations on meeting your goal of finishing ahead of the usual competitors from last year. I know how that goes, when strangers show up in the field to your surprise. Sounds like it was a solid race for you given all of the variables. Keep up the great work!
Reply sodswanny
6:38 AM on March 22, 2021 - doxycycline purchase in china
Reply quamEmpom
11:58 AM on May 26, 2021 
buy kamagra uk with mastercard
Reply quamEmpom
9:45 AM on June 27, 2021 
generic viagra fastest shipping